1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What news? you've both been silent for a while...

Discussion in 'Development Diaries - Written' started by se5a, Sep 7, 2015.

1. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

New Zealand
    How goes Unity?
    I downloaded and took a quick look myself the other week, looks interesting. I'll have to play around and take a closer look. It does a lot more than I thought, going to need to think of a project to use it for.

2. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello Scout Experimental Number Five, improved version

Steve, DirkGently and I are working our asses off every day for the last few days, and some more before that. Alas, what's being done is mostly underground work. Steve and Dirkgently are working on the economics, Steve does coding in every direction, and we all together work on the character screen, the edict system and screen. The edict screen especially has seen a lot of evolution, given the big changes DirkGently initiated in its principles.

Basically, there will be edicts for everything. So we got to nail the concept very well, because edicts will also drive research, trade, diplomacy and spaceship design !!

The other two maniacs continue laying the foundation for the population economical system: there will be seven type of populations, and they fight in a mud-ring about laws of supplies and demands, and trade agreements. I stay clear when those two geniuses start spewing math formulas, lest I gain some IQ points. They can argue for days, weeks even.

We also updated the planet's data screen with the inclusion of more data and a slight improvement of some windows.

We also at last agreed on the House system, and ditched the now useless faction system. There will be major houses, minor houses, and some other small houses that will take over some traits from neighboring more powerful houses. Each house has its own portrait database, ground and space units. We plan on making about 11-12 houses. Yup, that's a lot of work for me. I hate them. You would too if you were me :)

We are still hotly debating the principles behind spaceship construction...

Point is, we will show you guys stuff when there is stuff to be shown, we are building and testing stuff. Patience, this summer was a time for brain-storming, grind and secret coding. Steve has started translating this into some gaming elements. In a few days or weeks, we should be able to show you what we have been working upon.

take care,
    we are even more impatient that you !

P.

3. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

New Zealand
    Good good! progress is being made then!
    glad to hear, as long as you've not all gotten into that horrible loop where you're writing something, realising it's not going to work, and going back to the drawing board again.
    Ironic that you mention spaceship construction as I've just managed to claw my way out of said loop with pulsar with that, or more accurately, the ship component design, which needs to be done before the ship design.
    at least... I'm really really really hoping that I'm not at the coding and thinking it's going to work part of the loop. we shall see!

I can't wait till we get pulsar to the point where we're worrying about economics, supply and demand, etc. I look forward to that bit, albeit with much trepidation.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Yes, we are taking our time with the game design. There are a lot of moving parts and we want to make sure the game is as fun as possible. That means rethinking a lot of things that didn't work as well with the first Imperia, keeping in mind the ultimate goal - would a galaxy-spanning Emperor have to worry about this? Also, we're simplifying several systems and working on a unified interface, as Pavlos said, for creating Edicts, orders, projects, etc. We think we've just about nailed down the process and what we want to do with Edicts - it's a really cool system (in theory) and we're about to start implementing it. We have also been working on the economy, which is so critical - that was a frustrating part of the first game in that there would be large 'spikes' and you could get into a fatal feedback loop if you let a problem go for too long. It was vastly toned down from earlier versions, but I want people to understand how the economy works and we want a 'complex foundation, simple understanding' setup. I will post some screenshots very soon. We have been very busy and have gotten a LOT done - just not a lot of flashy, 'pew pew' stuff!

-Steve