1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the planets of Imperia

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, Feb 20, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Greetings earthlings !

As some of you will remember, on the previous forum I had posted some previews of planets. Since them, we have incorporated them in the build, so they are not hot news anymore. At the moment, there are in excess of 220 different planet graphics in Imperia, and this is without the asteroid belts and other abnormalities that will later be incorporated in the build.

So, for those who haven't yet played the game, I attach below some of the graphics, so as to give you an idea of the variety of planetary bodies you will encounter in the game. Planetary rings and brown dwarfs are not coded in the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve and I are thinking about some other weird pseudo-planet concepts, but we will tell you absolutely nothing about them - just as you will not learn what are those "mystery planets" until you play the game in its near-final form.

Take care and have a nice week-end,
    Mister P.

2. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello all,

As we type, I am uploading a massive planet package to Steve, containing 602 planets (yes, that's right, six hundred and two), to replace the existing planet picture database. Instead of 10 to 16 versions of each planet type, now there will be 43 versions. Asteroid belts and the like will retain their current 4 different versions, there's no point in being such a maniac there ! I attach below some samples of the new planet pack, with the new planet types for Imperia Unity (ice giants,super-earths and ice belts).

[​IMG]

Some planetary traits will influence the very appearance of the planet. For instance, if there is a super-organism located on one world (think of a living creature the size of a continent, or larger), the planetary type will change to 'organic' category, because the lifeform is large enough to change the whole biosphere. Also, after a given development threshold, a planet will change to 'city' type, to reflect how its population and industry changes the very appearance of its surface.

Why, oh why should you make so many planets, you could ask me. Well, it's not an unhealthy obsession about balls, but rather a wish to keep the exploration spirit alive. I think that a great part of the impetus to explore is discovering new grounds, new worlds -and why have new worlds that look alike ? The more the potential worlds, the more surprises there are. Some planets will be bland, others will have exceptional features. The more, the better. My plan will be to go up to 50 variants per type.

Seven-hundred different planets. All ripe for the taking !

P.

3. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Great.Planets should be more than just a growth and industry malus that is boring as shit.

Shame I see no rimmerworld type.

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    hullo Ashbery,

Oh yes, I am a great fan of artificial worlds, whether they are Dyson spheres, swarms or bubbles, Niven's ring worlds, even Ian Bank's shell worlds. I would not say no to a fancy little Pratchett style flat world either, hehe. Thing is, they have to fit in our universe. If we or the Xyl are able to construct such things, well, we can also tweak stars and pretty much alter the fabric of space and time. And that causes gameplay issues.

I would also hate to have our player discover such a gigantic structure and just let it hang around like this, without a story (like Larry Niven did in his disappointing novel). Such megastructures, even derelict, generate so many questions that their very existence can warp the whole story arc.

We might see artificial worlds in Imperia. Or we might not :)

P.

PS: there are some stellar and planetary traits you might enjoy. But you will have to wait until next week for Steve to incorporate those in the game...

5. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    Looking GREAT!

6. jeffer

jeffer Viceroy-in-Training

Canada
    Pretty neat! o_O

7. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    thank you lads !

I post below the picture of the new dust rings. You will encounter those in random systems, but mostly around very young stars, where the planetary generation process has not yet given birth to large planets.

[​IMG]

... If you look very closely, you will see some 'sheperd' moons, or little planetoids sweeping the dust off their orbit and giving shape to the rings (just like they do around gas or ice giants today). Those little bodies are in the process of growing into full planets.

Take care,
    P.

8. nadia911

nadia911 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Argentina
    Oh my God... I'm left without words :eek:

9. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    But not without worlds! :)

nadia911 likes this.
  10. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Ah, forgot to mention one other thing: the planets, they live... and die.

More specifically, in Imperia we use a stellar age variable to generate the stars and its planets. The very same 'age' variable is taken in account for the evolution of planets.

Planets around very young stars will more often be asteroid belts, lava worlds or large solid-core planets. Why ? well, the planetary birth processes are still going on, and the mineral debris around the stars are still coalescing into large planets. The planets that exist often still haven't their own atmosphere of methane or water, being made up of very hot magma. Gas giants perhaps do not exist, as they have not grown large enough to sweep the gas of the stellar nebula.

Planets around young stars are just maturing: many of them have oceans and atmosphere, only later to loose them and turn into deserts or greenhouse planets (like Mars and Venus did). This is a fine time to be around. Gas giants have grown, and brown dwarfs have appeared.

Planets around old stars will get old -and sometimes die. Terran planets will have lost their atmosphere, lava worlds will have gone cold, desert planets will turn completely barren and super planetary organisms will go extinct. Only large worlds such as super-earths will have a large core and a gravity strong enough to retain some atmosphere.

Of course, the spectral class of the parent star influences the way planets age: a very large star will die before its planets show signs of aging.

It is the first time in my knowledge that a game takes this kind of data into account, to turn it into a living universe.

stay tuned for more !

P.

PS: about artificial planets, I am updating the planet generation routines, and I saw that as 'type 18' of planets I had included "construct". Hehe, I am a step ahead.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    nadia911 likes this.
  11. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey all,

I forgot in Imperia we will implement hot jupiters. Sometimes, gas giants migrate close to their star, and sit there, evaporating until they turn into a chtonian planet (only their solid core remains). So, if you have a giant planet close to its sun, it will look a bit like this:

[​IMG]
    take care,
    P.

Texashawk likes this.
  12. jeffer

jeffer Viceroy-in-Training

Canada
    Oh my... what a work!:confused:

13. Zireael

Zireael Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Poland
    I love this hot planet!

Texashawk likes this.
  14. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Putting this type of planet in the next build, .01.

-Steve