1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

miscellaneous game graphics

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, Feb 5, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello earthlings and visitors !

I thought it would be cool to share with you some of the art of Imperia, that is screens that you will see across the game. The screens will be either downloading ones, or screens linked to major events (a battle won or lost, the game end, an injury, your untimely death, an unexpected visit through a wormhole etc...). I hope you like the pictures !

[​IMG]

This is an empress sitting on her throne, flanked by some automaton guards.

Stay tuned for more !

P.

2. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Summer Palace

Huuuullo emperors and empresses,

Hope you are all doing well. Below is a picture of an imperial palace. My wish would be to design quite a few such exterior spaces and use them as intermediate screens for events or in-between-turns. Any feedback welcome.

In case you are wondering, the towers with the golden spheres are the large point defenses lasers protecting the said palace -you do not want to take chances, do you ?

[​IMG]

have a nice day out there,
    P.

3. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    Loving it. I'll admit, however, could use a few people walking around in the courtyard :)

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hahaha,

well so do I. I erased all the tourists that where on the mai photo, so I will need new volunteers. I will seek pictures of french court dresses and add some walking couples in the picture. Just now I want to advance on the interface so that Steve can work on his end too !

I am still thinking of the next palace: this one was built a long time before you took power, when the trend was medieval. Now, the design follows other trends, so what should be next: a levitating palace, a great spire, a giant shard dug in the side of a basaltic promontory, some pseuo-fractal structure enclosed in a vacuum-resistant-dome, some hanging gardens ? I will put gardens around in any case. I love flowers :)

Any ideas welcome :) If the idea takes root, you might even name the bloody place !

P.

divair, if you propose more than 100 ideas, consider yourself disqualified.

5. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    Perhaps one of the emperors had a bit of a corporate streak and opted for lots of glass and clean, white surfaces? Something very similar to what a faction like Cerberus from Mass Effect might employ.

6. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey eberyone,

This thread has been quiet for too long. here's a little picture featuring our dear Imperial Shock Trooper, in action.

[​IMG]

You can see it in full size if you click on it.

P.

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Very nice!

-Steve

8. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Feels almost like Fallout in space with that picture. The walker seems hi-tech but this guy... It's like putting the old Lost in Space movies alongside the new Star Trek movies. Seems out of place.

9. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    See, I think that's the point. You're seeing a blend of the far future and what France might have built in the 1800's with 2800's tech. Just my thoughts....

-Steve

10. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    Ok, but then here is my thing. Why would you build something bigger and boxier than it needs to be when that increased the area it is going to get hit by. You've got a sleek walker and a boxy power armor suit. It's a very disconcordant look.

If you want to look at it historically, there has been a constant and continual progression towards making armor sleeker, slimmer, and lighter throughout time, not bulkier. From plate and chain to steel and ceramic plates and kevlar, it has been a constant move towards lighter and less bulky armor, not more bulky.

11. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Ahem, Bmorris, there I have to step-in...

Did you lately check the armored vehicles, the ones and use and the prototypes ? They are boxy as hell. Not only are they boxy, but they are also conceived to have added boxy extra modular armor all over. The trend is towards adding all sorts of boxy stuff on every part of the tank, even around the gun.

Today's armor is more bulky because it is multi-layered, to protect against both kinetic rounds and HEAT rounds (a HEAT round is a chemical energy round, where on impact a super-fast molten cone of metal is created and drives through the target's armor). In the future, armor will also have to protect against lasers (with ablative, refractive and or vaporizing material), be stealth and hide or distort IR signature. Did I also mention that this armor must keep its mechanical properties in temperatures from absolute zero to +400 degrees ? And also protect its wearer in case of puncture and atmospheric re-entry ? That's an engineers' nightmare.

I would also like to point at the fact that this is not simply an armor, but a combat-suit. It also has a built-in life-support, energy generator, capacitors, heat-sink and radiators, ammo, jamming systems, servos, poop-recycling and so on. In Afghanistan, troopers have to carry up to 20+ kilos of batteries for a simple day-long operation. Their backpack can weight up to 70 kilos -only the backpack. Pack this in an armored suit !

Do not get too worried, the Refrigerator of Doom (your trademark) will not be the only design around: the imperial designs might be blocky, but the technist and the Xyl will use rather different philosophies !!

P.

12. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    Who are the technists?

13. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    A faction.

And ahem... While that is true, you are also not bringing up that they specifically design harnesses to spread the equipment around to help distribute the weight and not have it all on the back. And yes, they are going for multi-layer armor (which is limited both by HEAT and more conventional AP rounds) but the armor fabric is also getting thinner and thinner. I mean, we could get into discussions about FMJ vs. open-tip vs. hollow point ammunition too. :)

Ablative armor (also known in some circles as reflective armor) does not necessarily weight any more than normal armor, but certainly costs more because of the reflective properties.

Again, I'm not saying it's complicated to do. But you have the mechanical walkers which are sleek and multi-functional and not boxy being designed by the same people who designed the combat armor? I know the design decision has been made and I'm just being grumps. ;) The jarring contrast between styles makes me have fits, that's all.

14. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    That's funny, because I see the two models as entirely in keeping with one another - they're kind of boxy, heavy, brutal-looking machines, with a kind of awkwardness that makes them feel more real than a sleek sci-fi look would. As for whether war machines of the 30th century would be bulky or sleek, who can say? Trends change direction for any number of reasons. What matters here is creating a distinct, cohesive look and feel for the game, which these designs do admirably.

15. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    I am sorry this whole design still drives you mad Bmorris, but I still hope it will grow on you.

Thank you dirkgently for your words, it's tough to venture out of the rails, and I often think I would be better off designing a classic dark-angular ship with tons of little blue windows and dozen of engines on top of wings... but then I slap myself into work once more.

I am currently reworking for the 3rd time an imperial space station. I do hope I get it right this time. Soon in a thread near you. I am thinking of starting little design contests too, for ship designs and such. I'll keep you guys posted.

P.

16. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hello everybody,

Here's a glimpse of a large imperial space station in orbit, part of a small in-game cinematic. You can see it is made of three different areas: the spinning inhabited wheel, the top industrial part and the bottom wide open docking area. More views will follow: the thing is pretty detailed.

[​IMG]
    P.

17. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester

New Zealand
    Shiny!
    I want to build one of *those*