1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperia: iconic units, Imperial ShockTroop

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, May 13, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Greetings earthlings,

I finally finished the imperial shocktroop and its warsuit.

[​IMG]

I will use this heavily clad and frighteningly armed fellow for some dynamic shots that I will post on this thread. I plan on using this guy a lot to set the identity of the game. For this particular reason I will appreciate any sort of feedback -what does not work well in its current form, what could be improved, this doens't make sense...

Know only that in the pure tradition of the Imperial House, this warsuit is designed to inflict maximum pain and survive a shocking amount of damage -even if it means that it will return back to base on autopilot with a charred pilot inside...

Its main weapons are a dorsal gauss gun with a gimballed anti-personel laser. This version does lack the dorsal mortar but features the typical shoulder smoke discharger / frag-grenade / hollow charge projectors, as well as an arm-mounted grenade-launcher.

There is a heavier version reserved for Guards troops, with a massive dorsal turret and a vectored jetpack.

Don't hold back, I don't have a thin skin :)

P.

2. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    Reminds me of the game Bioshock. Love it!

3. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Now see, I'm not a fan of this (compared to being a big fan of the walker). Reminds me of the robot from lost in space. Honestly, I feel like the enemies would fall down laughing because it looks like the guy is wearing a refrigerator box.

4. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    I like the weirdness of this, and your artistic judgement is generally impeccable, but I must confess to wondering how he gets up again when he falls over.

5. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    Yeah, that would be a concern. A big explosion and the concussive force knocks them over and they can't get up. They are flopping around like a beetle on its back. Wow, the more I think about that, the more that should be a concern for anyone wearing it. Plus, if they do get knocked over, the fins/heat sinks in the back could get stuck in the ground and make it really hard to get up.

6. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    Possible solution: extendable forearm pistons, mounted just under the grenade launchers, capable of sudden, powerful extension in either direction. Useful for rolling over, clearing debris, and hand-to-hand combat.

7. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    That's becoming a lot of stuff mounted on the arms. I hope they are servo powered in order to accommodate all the weight above and under then. You also then need to make sure they can roll over to use them, which might be hard with how the shoulder-mounted stuff sticks out.

8. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    The suit is powerarmor from what I see.He would not be using muscle to get back up.

I love the art design.It is so not generic.

9. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Exactly Ashberry,

In the times of Imperia, every soldier is 'enhanced' or 'backed-up' in different ways. Imperial troops are power-assisted, right-on-spot.
    Also, it is worthy of notice that nobody aims his own firearm anymore. The aiming is machine-assisted: the weapons are mounted above the head, in front of the face, on the shoulder or the chest, and although it is pointed by the trooper, its aiming is automated.

I will soon post designs illustrating the remarks above.

P.