1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperia: iconic units, Imperial Assault Walker

Discussion in 'Pavlos' Corner (The Art Forum)' started by pavlosg, May 11, 2015.

1. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey there,

While Steve is photosynthesizing on a boat, I keep on working on miscellenaous things, some of which are the iconic designs of Imperia. Let me remind you that those objects/ vehicles/ people will be more detailed than usual as they will be used to convey the general feel and identity of the game.

In the 'ground troops' thread I had shown some early version of the walker (then called 'spiderWalker', but that will is now taken by another faction), but I was not entirely satisfied with the legs. The design felt too generic. So I decided to make it more organic, closer to a armor-clad crustacean. Since the Imperial ShockTroop looks a bit like an old diving suit, it ties up rather well.

[​IMG]

The model is not textured so far, but you can get the general feel. The walker has a low profile and a very long axial coil-gun (the walker is literally built around it). Indeed, Imperial arsenals tend to put the emphasis on maximum firepower and heavy protection -this walker is not exception. Above, the walker is powered-down, its forward limbs retracted and its cooling panels vertical.

[​IMG]

Now the walker has powered-up, its limbs extended and dorsal laser turret deployed. The forward lower limbs are equipped with anti-ballistic shields, just like the upper limbs. These shields and other limb-joint extra-armor where added during the very long life of the walker (its conception dates from the early previous century).

[​IMG]
    If needed, the upper limbs can be rotated up so as to act like extra shields, just like shown above. The shields also help in swimming, wading and advancing through regolith.

More on the walker soon. Any feedback welcome !

P.

2. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    Love it! More more!

3. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Nice. Very nice.

4. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Thank you guys,

I added some stuff on this walker this morning, and I think I wrapped up the modeling work ( I added some details to the shield and some miscellaneous containers attached here and there). I will hence start the texturing tomorrow. Will take me a couple of days at least, unless I get terribly lazy :) I still hesitate about the state of the walker: shall I make it very dirty and used up or not ?

I finished the Imperial Shock Trooper today, check it out in its own "iconic" thread.

P.

5. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    I wouldn't make it (too) dirty. Unless you want to make different models showing different states. I mean, if we somehow produce them, they better not come off the assembly line dirty. :)

6. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Thing is, imperial hardware has mostly been produced nearly a century ago. It has been kept (mostly) running by feats of improvisation. The wear-and-tear is visible everywhere, and a lot of machines fail routinely. The empire is not everything it was anymore -quite a lot of knowledge and craftsmanship has been lost during the last generations: what is not needed tends to be forgotten.

As for the dirt, well, imperial troops have been very busy spreading the -ahem- Word of the emperor here and there. This worsened the condition alluded to above, naturally.

At last, I will use the walker in some battle animations, so they should not look pristine :) I am currently texturing the machine, I will post images shortly of it. Soon it might even be fighting alongside the fearsome refrigerator of death (your trademark) !

P.

7. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    Oh boy, I got a trademark! Woot!

8. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey people and sentient artificial intelligences,

Here's the imperial walker, almost finished. It will lay in this state until I start doing some cinematics for the game. Some things light change later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Steve soon back from his cruise around the Kuiper belt (indeed, he went space-side to scout for locations), the coding part of the game should proceed swiftly.

P.

9. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    Amazingly awesome.

10. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Very nice! Flying in tonight, back to the game design grind tomorrow!

11. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    Very cool.. and ya, get back to programming Texashawk :)

12. Piteas

Piteas Viceroy-in-Training

Spain
    Awesome!!

A Louis XIV dream ;)