1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would love your thoughts on Imperia

Discussion in 'AotSS Feedback' started by Texashawk, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    I assume 1080p support is coming eventually, right? As much as I love the art style, everything feels a tad low res on a 24 inch screen.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Well, the game is optimized for 1920 x 1080, which is close. I strongly recommend widescreen, especially with the planet screens.

-Steve

3. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    I've got it set to 16:9 and 1920x1080. The textures look great, the text seems a bit low res however.

4. Alexandre

Alexandre Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Germany
    Dear Steve,

I saw one of your videos on youtube and i must say that i'm thrilled about your game. Crusader Kings II is one of my favorite games. I love it because of all the politics / diplomacy which is going on with all those characters. One thing i really dislike about it is the total transparency of the 'relations system'. If i'm correct that's exactly your opinion. Because of all that i sympathise with your idea.

But there is one thing which strucked me when watching your video. It seems you can build a spying network without dealing with characters and their opinions / traits. This seems to me inconsistent with the whole premise of the game. Even in Crusader Kings II, in which spying is underdeveloped, you have to bribe / persuade characters.

Wouldn't it be nice to create different intelligence services (domestic, counter intelligence, political, military, foreign) with different directors supervising those institutions? They all have their own ambitions / traits.

Btw. i would like to help testing the game.

Best regards,
    Alexandre

5. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Hi Alexandre!

Thanks for joining the community! While there isn't a lot of action in the forums, I look to change that soon with some news and some screenies.

As far as your thoughts, you are spot on. I don't like 'perfect numbers' with perfect information. In the original Imperia, spying was pretty basic and limited to your population. You have some good ideas about sound and I'd like to hear more! What kind of traits? And your thoughts about different 'agencies' sounds intriguing, although it would have to be balanced with the overall complexity level. But I would like to hear more.

As for testing the game - welcome to the team! Please PM me your contact info so that I can register you and send you builds.

Thanks!

-Steve

Alexandre likes this.
  6. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    The game has all these characters but nothing ties it together.There are no factions or family politics.It reminds me of EU Rome before the expansion added a senate.I am not sure what the player is actually against in the alpha.

I think Dune or Emperor of the fading suns it best with familys and a overall goal of becoming Emperor with side factions like the Church or spice guild.

7. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    hey Ashbery,

Ah, Dune, my role model.

Don't worry, there will be factions alright. Designs will be harmonized and redistributed into recognizable families as factions crystallize. So far, from what Steve told me, there will be the following factions (not at all final):

- technologists (ruled by singularities)
    - corporatists (ruled by market forces)
    - traditionalists (no pure machines save for machine-man hybrids)
    - a (union of) Church ? (Steve is reluctant about involving religion, I am trying to convince him)
    - anarchists (with a machine-guaranteed freedom, a bit like Van Vogt stuff) ?
    -... and a myriad of small independent one-planet or solar-system clans

The factions are not solid immobile blocks, because they still depend on some sort of leadership that will come on top of ideology. Design-wise they will differ from your imperial house to different degrees. More on that later.

Expect some variety in styles even inside a faction, because even today, in the peak of occidentalism, at the United Nations you see leaders in traditional African, Indian, or Middle-eastern clothing. Expect this to be even more common with the rise of other power blocks.

Steve will probably start a thread about factions, so I will not delve more into the subject here.

take care,
    P.

8. dirkgently

dirkgently Lord of Statistics
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United Kingdom
    Oh, you've got to have religious factionalism in there. You can't possibly sustain an empire without a justifying ideology that goes right to the heart of people's identity, and unless religion has seriously withered in Imperial society, that means the Emperor will be claiming the endorsement of God. I'd advise doing a Frank Herbert on modern-day religions - probably invent a syncretic Christian-Islamic religion, rather than his Islamic/Buddhist combinations, given the Elizabethan vibe of your character art. Then religious minorities could be one of the distinguishing features of different planets, too...

9. bmorris2

bmorris2 Alpha Tester

United States
    Hello, where is the shady factions? A faction who is into espionage/underworld activities? Good grief, we've got skimming money and extorting money. We need some shady factions. Or, what about pro-alien factions? I'm guessing this mortal threat is an alien.

10. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Oh, they're coming. I will write up some faction descriptions soon. I expect there will be a gamut. As Emperor, these factions will not be 'officially recognized' but depending on how strong the factions are (and who is leading them) you may have to pay more than lip service. Plus, factions that are allied to your rule will give you bonuses, and even open up additional actions in some cases, so it's not just about getting characters over to your side.

It will not be possible to sway every faction, however, and the knowledge that you are partial to one faction may cause other factions to lose support. Your regent will serve as the game's 'hint system' and will let you know if you are risking relations with certain factions if you declare support for another. This will allow further gameplay distinction and some additional role play.

Note that not all factions may be present on every planet. You will be able to 'remove' factions on specific planets that might be friendly to an unfavorable viceroy, for example.

More to come!

-Steve
    I will

11. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Hey Ashbury!

Well, a significant part of the game was missing so that was (and will) be the most important part of the game, really. A big part of the game is forging relationships with your people and leaders through factions, both official and unofficial. You will need to gain support throughout your empire both to survive day-to-day and to unite for the threat to come. In the alpha, it really was entropy that you were fighting without the political system and factions in place. Plus, characters may be involved in behind-the-scenes events that are designed to affect your empire, e.g. a province breaking away, armies defecting, sabotage of trade networks, all the way to assassination! That all will be in IU.

-Steve

12. Calanor

Calanor Alpha Tester

Sweden
    Hello, everyone! New member here and considering that I first heard of Imperia last night, I've not spent a huge amount of time with the game yet. However, there are a few things that struck me while trying out the current version.
    1. Nationalist - now, perhaps this has a somewhat different connotation in the US, but over here (Sweden) it most certainly doesn't imply that you're a "good guy". In fact, to many it's got a quite negative ring to it. Perhaps this is nit-picking, but would you guys consider changing this to something less charged? While "Republican" might bring certain associations to people living in the states, I feel that it'd better describe what seems to be the intent - someone who tries to represent the people, either directly or perhaps through a senate of sorts. Also, I see no reason why someone in RL who's "tyrannical" can't also be a full-fledged "nationalist", so the term Nationalist feels a bit misleading. Also, the concept of a "Republican" vs a despotic "Tyrant" feels fitting in a game with a Renaissance-in-space theme, complete with Roman art.

2. As for the "demeanour" in general (Nationalist/Pragmatist/Tyrant), it doesn't seem reasonable that someone who accepts a bribe now and then would automatically be OK with murder, no matter how many times such bribes are taken (or given, for that matter). Will bribing only take you so far towards Tyranny, while someone aspiring to become a full-fledged tyrant will have to commit more brutal acts?

3. Perhaps it might be a good idea to rename the Emperor's ADM - as in the number of actions he can perform during a turn - into something else? To a newcomer, it felt a bit confusing when you've got planet, system and sector ADM, heck even imperial ADM which is not the same as the Emperor's ADM. "EMP" or something might help to make things a little less confusing. I'm nit-picking again, I suppose. :)

4. Given that the game is switching to Unity, remarks regarding the UI are probably not that useful at this time. However, I would like to suggest that multiple quick and convenient ways to access relevant data are implemented. For instance, when examining a character, the person's current location is listed. It would be convenient if a click on this text would take the player to that location's UI.

5. Will there be any way to get some sort of idea why people are rioting on a planet, without having to expand one's local Intel? I get that I can't get detailed info without a functioning Intel, but if people are out in the streets breaking stuff and hurling abuse, it seems reasonable that I should be able to get at least some sort of hint regarding why they're acting in this manner. I reckon that such info could be "filtered" through the local viceroy, though (if s/he is the cause, s/he might not be willing to admit it).

6. Right now, characters seem too fickle with their support. If I get a 200 POW character to support me, I won't get an increase to my Power during that turn (unless I've completely missed something) and I couldn't manage to maintain that character's support to the start of the next turn, making the "support" from that particular character rather useless. I realise that a high-POW ally would require some effort to keep, but characters seem too willing to withdraw their support in general.
    Well, that's all for now. I'd like to add that I was happily surprised by this game, even though it is in an early stage. I can see truckloads of potential here and will spread the word, although most strategy gamers I know might unfortunately not be interested in an early release.

Edit: Oh, another thing:
    7. I find it easy to forget checking the event log in the upper parts of the screen. It doesn't help that it is minimised at the start of each turn and that the green flash is rather subtle. I'd suggest moving it to, say, the right side (like many other games) and keep it open between turns if the player wants to. A history of past events would be nice too, if you in fact happened to miss something.​

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    dirkgently likes this.
  13. Algirdas Ulba

Algirdas Ulba Viceroy-in-Training

United Kingdom
    I would like to give my huge write up what I think about the game and what feels right and doesn`t, but as I have V.412a version and it looks different from what I`ve seen in most resent youtube videos, so I have to stay silent as my Imperia gaming experience is possibly irrelevant to the current state of the game....

But just few bullet points:

Top menu (info bar) does not fit the game itself, looks quite terrible and needs a decent remake to fit with awesome style planetary system view.

Game pace somehow does not feel right, I really like to get at least few generations play-through so whole bunch of characters would change.

Kind of missing some kind of intelligent aliens, at least one race for a competition, but it`s fine without them though (not talking about XYL)

Research - common guys... Please don`t do tree system but it should be at least some big projects, don`t forget that according to the history whole tech is outdated and not even near the level it been dooring XYL wars, meaning civ has to remember and develop, like starting the hunt of dead XYL star-ships and study those, cos how they`ll defend when xyl comes back...

Emperor- where is his personal planet and personal fleet/army

Can`t talk more as feels like my version of the game is outdated and the rest could be irrelevant to this day.

Saw there Planet interaction concept menu, looks completely awesome and I would like if all the menus and screens would be done that style, that makes you feel like it`s 3050 and not 1995,

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016