1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would love your thoughts on Imperia

Discussion in 'AotSS Feedback' started by Texashawk, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hey all!!

With .410 about to launch, I really want to know what would make Imperia a great game. One of my stated goals is to make Imperia the best grand strategy 4x/5x ever made within my capabilities (I'm a one-man show with a great artist helping) so I don't have the resources of a large publisher or development house, but I still think greatness can be had with a solid game foundation, a focus on getting better, and feedback that helps take the game to the next level. I know the download is free and there's no 'skin in the game' but I would consider your thoughts, no matter how much you may hate something about Imperia, to be a gift. All I ask is that your opinions be given respectfully. We're trying to do something different here, and especially if you want a game that plays between a cross of Crusader Kings II, Democracy 3, and what the original design for MOO3 was supposed to be (the Emrich design), I need your thoughts.

-Steve

2. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    The scrolling in pretty annoying.A standard left click pan or wsad would be nice.

I also wonder that the game is modelling a monarch system but the leaders family are not present the game.

Moo3 was going to have a high level cabinet too with promotions for all characters possible..A chain of command.That sounded so cool in theory.

3. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Yeah, scrolling will be added at some point, along with zoom-to-cursor. It's actually harder to program than you'd think...

This system will be added soon, re: character promotions - you will theoretically be able to promote a viceroy to a Prime (essentially a Cabinet leader position) manually. Of course, promoting some people over others could create problems! ;) Re the family, part of the history of the game is that you were the last of your line, with no siblings to contest your rule... that you know of. :lol:

-Steve

4. HiGuys5525

HiGuys5525 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    While I was playing recently, there were some things that I've found that may be useful:

A. The total\max development level doesn't appear on the intel screen for planets. It is useful to have a view at a glace of this to see which planets need to be abandoned, turned into penal colonies, or have room for economic growth.

B. We should be able to have our colonial engineers determine the max development level of an colonized planet, assuming we have all the surveys completed.

C. Neo-Sirius, the capital, often starts off with a lower development level than some of the other colonies. The capital should be the most well developed planet around.

D. Many planets, about 3 or 4 a game (that's ~25% in most cases) start off with a max development level below 40. These planets shouldn't have even been able to be colonized in the first place, and I think that there are just too many bad planets. 1 or maybe 2 is ok, but 4? I think that's too many.

E. Stimulate Economic Sector seems to only make the budget deficit worse. I don't see the development level increase on any planets where this edict is active.

5. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    -Steve

6. HiGuys5525

HiGuys5525 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Also,

1. Could you add a page on the intel screen for potential colonies and outposts? The information that should be there should be:
    Planet Name, System Name, Hab Rating, Strategic Resource Rating, Luxury Rating, and MDL.

Sorry if I seem very demanding.

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    -Steve

8. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    I think the key to grabbing new players will be tooltips. Lots of tooltips. Especially for shortened words or abbreviations. On top of that, I suggest some form of standardization of numerical values. Is 10 a good number, or a bad number? Varies by the context, but you have no way of knowing without prior knowledge.

9. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    It's on 'the list'. I generally try to add more tooltips with each release, both as a help guide and as a part of gathering info. I just worry about going Paradox with the rampant tooltips - don't know that I want to go *that* far! :)

-Steve

10. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    Yea, I can definitely understand that worry. That said, it's better to hide everything in tooltips than to have it all display at once. It's still overwhelming, but less so. Have you considered asking Pavlos to create small icons to replace abbreviations or shortened terms? Endless Space/Legend might be a good inspiration for minimalist UI design.

11. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Complex games needs Paradox level of tool tips imo.

The Endless series while good did not have complex mechanics.

12. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    No, but they did a very good job of communicating mechanics through minimalist UI. Artistic icons could help with replacing short abbreviations that make no sense to a new user.

13. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hey there,

It's me popping up here, someone said "beetlejuice" 3 times !

Divair, I love icons, even though they are a pain in the butt to make -but hopefully we are growing with the same set of memes, so pictures tend to replace occidental concepts rather easily. I did a try with a full-icon interface that I will attach below. I was very happy with it. Then slept on it. Then I woke up and I found it rather grotesque, I do not know why. (I also forgot to insert the planet's picture in the top part -big mistake).

We all know that eventually, all interface elements become sort of icons, graphical landmarks that guide your eye and finger across a molasse of inert or non-important information to the thing you seek. Groups of text, abbreviations become anchors that you use to make your mind map to the interactive or useful elements. Text is more un-ambiguous to the native speaker, icons get a short while to be learned but are more efficient.
    Icons are so much everywhere that sometimes I feel like I am not in a literate society anymore, but in a 1984 nightmare instead.
    When you have lots of space around the screen, at the end, should you go the eastern writing way and learn tons of icons (because they are tons of information in the game, right?) or just keep the game literate ?

I am split. Let you be judges yourselves.

[​IMG]

take care all
    P.

14. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    I like it. Very, very nice.

15. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Minor Viceroy

United Kingdom
    Looks great.I prefer icons as it makes it feel less like a spreadsheet.

16. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Pavlos makes great icons, and it's something that we go back and forth with. I was somewhat opposed to icons because especially with new games, you don't have any context to what the icons mean, and with Imperia, and everything new that it tries, I could see a lot of confusion. But I just had an epiphany, from reading the forums (see, I read!)

-Icons, but with 2-stage help tooltips that display the label in the first stage, then give additional info for that item if you hover for a few seconds!

Eh? Eh? Might that work?

(And for the record, I really, really like Pavlos's subwindow tags. I'll tell him so!) ;-)

-Steve

dirkgently likes this.
  17. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    That's exactly what I was thinking. For example, if you hover over the leaf, the initial tooltip is "Habitability". Then, if you maintain the hover, it'll open up with a short description of what habitability is and some kind of logical numerical scale so you can determine if the number is high or low.

18. pavlosg

pavlosg Art Director
    Forum Admin

Greece
    Hmmm yes lads,

I think that would work fine!

I will need to arrange the icons into semantic and visual structures so as to make it easier for the players. Of course, should one of the icons be unclear or else, I will count on you guys and gals to tell me so I can re-design it !

I should still add the picture of the planet near the icons, shouldn't I ?

P.

19. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    I think it's best to wait until Steve adds the immediate tooltips. If a tooltip doesn't clarify the icon, then we have a problem.