1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiGuys5525 Suggestions

Discussion in 'AotSS Feedback' started by HiGuys5525, Mar 8, 2015.

1. HiGuys5525

HiGuys5525 Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

United States
    Hey all, so I've got a long list of suggestions that I would like to present. I try not to be too nitpicky, but I want to help improve the game.

1. UI Improvements:
    a. Many things are currently abbreviated to 3 characters to be able to fit them all. For example CHR on the character intel screen. I know that it is charisma, but someone new to the game will look at all of those and it will be puzzled as to what they mean.
    b. Some things can be moved around significantly, I believe. For example, the first planets list screen on the intel screen should be moved to IMPTRES, with only the name, cashflow, MDL, TDL, unemployment and treasury. Unrest is already an alert, population is not really something you need at glance (if you know the 6 things I mentioned, you don't need to know pop). Popsup is related to unrest. If it becomes a problem, you get an alert, etc. Basically there is too much to look at on this screen, and the amount of information is overwhelming to some people, especially when you don't really need to see all of it.
    c. The screen I described in b should be broken down by system, and you should only see those planets when you click on a system name. Ex: I click on Neo-Sirius in the IMPTRES screen, and it shows me the planets in that system.
    d. On the planet screen, production has an MXX/AXX/SXX combo of numbers. What would really be useful there I think would be TDL/MDL.
    e. The second planet screen I feel is a little redundant now, and the only thing I would do is place an alert if a planet is not part of the trade network (regardless of material/food supply).
    f. On the emperor screen, it would be nice to see which planets I'm spying on, and the people on that planet, with a button to raise or lower intel.

2. Graphical Issues: (1366x768 res)
    a. When I click a planet the first time, the smaller info window that pops up has too large of a planet graphic.
    b. The "Top Level System Data" label is covering some of the new information boxes for the planets in a system.

3. Misc Improvements
    a. It would be nice to have a save menu, so that if the game crashes I can have a save.
    b. (Long-Term) An in-game tutorial
    c. (Long-Term) Difficulty, and custom galaxy and setup settings.

I hope I didn't just butcher your game. I really enjoy playing it, and I am really excited to see the project when it is finished.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    HiGuys5525,

You didn't butcher it, you improved it!

The game only gets better if multiple people share their viewpoints. While I may not agree with every suggestion, I welcome and treasure feedback, and I can tell you a LOT of the changes in Imperia between the .2 and .4 versions came as a direct result of player feedback. I'm glad you like the game and it's got a way to grow!

As far as the intel screen, it's going to get a bit of an overhaul, similar to what you're talking about with drilling down into sectors/systems/planets. I just have to code it first! :)

Regarding the b graphical issues, Imperia doesn't do very well at very low vertical resolutions. I try to make it better with each major update, but it has to scale most of the graphics and they don't always work well. We're working on continuing to tweak the interface to make it scale better.

As for #3, all of those are coming, and you can already save by using F1 (F2 hot loads) A dedicated save/load screen is down the road, but is not a priority in these builds.

I like your idea for 1.d and 1.f. I could add a marquee like I do for the system screen where 2 values 'alternate' so that you could still have that information.

Thank you!

-Steve