1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... avoid bankruptcy

Discussion in 'How do I...' started by ndkid, Feb 8, 2015.

1. ndkid

ndkid Viceroy-in-Training

United States
    In my latest game, New Terra was running about a half-billion dollar deficit, which wasn't surprising given that it had a 0% income tax. I remember reading about system/sector foci earlier this year... is there currently any way to convince your underlings to modify the tax rate? I couldn't spot one when I went through the edict and conversation lists, but figured I might have missed something.

Barring that, is there any way to turn around that large a deficit in a reasonable period of time? The various economic sector choices seem likely to only move the curve slightly in the near term.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hi ndkid,

I'm working on the balance in the next alpha release, and adding a mechanic where you will be able to set a system/sector fiscal policy of savings/balance spending/deficit spending, which should help. Basically, for now, you can't raise the tax rate - that will happen on its own unless you have an idiot viceroy/sec gov who refuses to see the onrushing train. That code could probably use a pass as well, now that garrisons and retirement subsidies are in the mix, which they weren't when I wrote that code a while back. Unfortunately, there is not a way to raise the tax manually currently. Some other things:

1) Assassinate the viceroy
    2) Pressure the viceroy to lower government spending - New Terra probably doesn't need all that ADM, but that's a choice you might have to make
    3) Lower industrial taxes - this will encourage spending by the private sector to expand the various sectors (though you will have to pay for it, as a state-run economy) but it will make you more money in the long run, as well as provide more income tax income.

Any thoughts?

-Steve

3. Zireael

Zireael Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Poland
    I've been asking for a way to increase taxes for ages - idiotic viceroys are a plague.

Can't wait for a promised new build with money improvements.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    The new build (.411) should alleviate a lot of these issues.

-Steve