1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few goodies I've been working on for .412

Discussion in 'News/Events/Upcoming Versions' started by Texashawk, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Pictures are louder then words...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I DO listen to feedback!!! :)

-Steve

Travis likes this.
  2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    The Edicts have also gotten some love, and a bug has been fixed: The sector capital's treasury was being hit for sector involvement in Edicts, which should be passed on to the Sector treasury. I have also fixed (mostly) a mechanic I put in a while back but never got working right. Do you have situations where you have a ton of materials lying on a planet, but you have very little ADM to work with them, but your system/sector planets have a bunch of ADM, but not a lot of materials, especially with the efficiency factor? Well, wait no longer, your prayers have been answered!

In .412, if you have no more ADM on a planet, but you do have materials, the system/sector planet will use what you have on the planet first, before using the materials on the system/sector planet. They will use their ADM as before, but now you can use whatever's on the planet (at the efficiency modifier) first without having to dip into system/sector reserves. This should help especially smaller/newer systems and sectors that don't have a lot of materials at game start, but want to develop planets that already have the physical materials to engage Edicts.

-Steve

3. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    This is amazing. Absolutely amazing.

4. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Thanks! There will be a few more wish list goodies thrown into .412 before I release, probably in the next day or so!

Steve

Travis likes this.
  5. Travis

Travis Community Manager

United Kingdom
    Any hints?

6. Zireael

Zireael Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

Poland
    Agreed completely. No more going bankrupt because of idiot viceroys. No more wasting materials because I don't have ADM...

7. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    Yes. Each version of the game should be less frustrating then the last. :)

So a few more changes, continued to tweak the balance - lowered the profitability of manufacturing and significantly lowered for science (one high-level science nexus could power the entire empire's economy, which is not the goal). Also:

Rewrote the conversation action. The results are the same, but how you get there is different. Now:
    • the character's age vs. the emperor's age is taken into account - the closer together in age the leader is, the better
    • loyalty is taken into account - anything above 50 is a bonus to your result; anything below is a malus
    • Character Intelligence is also factored in, with 1/3 of your intelligence score added to the result
    • Charisma is very important now, factored in 150% instead of 100%. I am about to add self-help actions that you can take to improve you stats as emperor; re-balancing actions to reflect abilities in certain stats will make these actions worthwhile at the expense of possibly doing more 'empirey' things
    Added a sector detail window. When you hover over a sector in the treasury screen, you will get a detail of the sector's systems and planets, with a small summary similar to the sector cash flow window. The goal is to see quickly where problems are eating away at your empire, and fix them without having to click on each planet.

Added the ability to 'turn off' subsidies for a given sector. Here's the model currently: When a planet goes broke, it is given enough money to meet its basic expenses from the sector treasury (at a cost). When the sector goes bankrupt, the empire starts to subsidize in the same manner. This will allow you to cut off sectors that are not performing so as to save the cash flow for the rest of the Empire, or at least until you have enough money to start subsidizing the sector again. This will cost 5 ADM and is immediate. Naturally, this will cause great consternation with your sector governor, but you will actually get a small bonus with your other governors if they are craven, cruel, economist, or Keynesian (survival of the fittest, baby!) and more so with the planets that are actually going to be cut off. Planets that are broke and unsubsidized suffer from the following effects:
    • All military on the planet is stood down
    • No further growth on the planet may occur, and each month there is a chance that economic sector levels may be reduced due to lack of upkeep/neglect
    • Posup will fall, and unrest will rise
    • Unemployment and retirement subsidies will not be paid, causing unrest/loss of posup and/or death, in the case of the retirees
    • Each turn, the government sector drops by 2 million people as the government cuts back. Also, wages are reduced by 25%
    • Taxes are raised by 20% unless they are already at the max caps
    • On a sector level, even planets that are not directly affected will suffer an unrest penalty
    As you can see, this is not a good situation and is obviously considered tyrannical. However, with the balance changes in this and in .411, you should be able to see issues coming long before this needs to happen, unless several bad things happen at once.

While I am always loathe to say a date, I expect .412 to be out 'very soon'. :)

-Steve

8. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer

United States
    So I've never really liked the concept of 'warp ranges' as it relates to starbase range when supporting stellar missions. After all, at the end of the day, having a larger starbase should mean something more then just better trade efficiency. So I decided for an experiment for .412 to adjust support ranges for starbases to be roughly geometric to their size, as shown in the picture below:

[​IMG]

Now the game will look for the largest starbase in the system when determining which size to use. I think of it as being able to supply small depots that serve the supply area. Also, I have made the possible range of warp ranges much shorter, so that there is less chance of a 'bad' starting roll that you currently can't fix until the science system is implemented. Exploration stations work the same way, but with much reduced range.

I have also started to overhaul the economic system as we move to sector and empire level control. Previously, sectors that lost money had no penalty; that money was basically 'magic money' and not accounted for, so it would be possible to have planets that had huge losses in all but one sector and still made a profit overall. In .412, sectors that have a loss will now count against a planets's total tax base, meaning that if you had a sector making a billion dollar profit, but the other sectors combined were losing .7 billion, your new tax base would only be .3 billion instead of the billion as before. Eventually, planets will have to account for unprofitable sectors (you still can't go below 0; you just don't have any tax base) but when that happens I will probably upbalance the profitability factors to make it easier to turn a profit.

-Steve

9. VineFynn

VineFynn Viceroy-in-Training

Australia
    Terrific.