1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

415a Possible save/load ctd.

Discussion in 'Support Center' started by se5a, Aug 9, 2015.

1. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester
    Testing The Galaxy, One Star At A Time

New Zealand
    looks pretty similar to the one in 413, if I load it, then click on some planets it'll crash, or if I try advance to the next turn.
    I'd saved this one and played a half dozen more months and had a crash, loaded it back up from here and wasn't able to continue from this point.

I've saved the save if you want to take a look at it. (kinda hoped I'd maybe be able to see what was wrong in the save, but it's a bit big for that, found some spoilers though! :p )

2. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Ha. Yeah, the save files are pretty huge. The way that I'm organizing data means I am doing most things by reference as opposed to the actual object being saved - so for example, if I had a field in Imperia that had the planetary viceroy, it would simply store the viceroy object. In Imperia Unity, I store a ID reference to just about all variables that would have an object (planet/character/House/system/etc). It not only takes way less memory, but it make the savedata very small.

Anyway, are you using the .415 build and a new game? It actually should not load an earlier version game, but just have to ask. Also, does it always crash games at the same point, even new games? I'll try to see if I can find a fast solution.

-Steve

3. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester

New Zealand
    Yeah a new game on 415. I'd saved and loaded/continued this one several times previously. I've not gotten quite this far in game years before so I can't be sure. I can send you the save tonight if you like.

4. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester

New Zealand
    Here's the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/atexvwppwi0ljpk/Imperia_savegame.zip?dl=0

Examining some of the planets ie New Terra, or advancing to the next turn/month will cause it to crash.
    found the minidump it created which doesn't seem to give much info other than Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    no line, class or function info.
    So yeah, I guess something is null where it shouldn't be. hopefully with the save you can run it in debug and find out what/where.

RE the data structure, I don't think you'd get much of a change on the memory footprint, but yeah I can see that you might be getting multiple instances of the same object when serialising it, not looked at the save that hard to see if that's the case though.

5. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester

New Zealand
    My second somewhat successful empire has gotten to about the same point at 63 years, I saved, came back later and loaded it up and am having the same problems with it - about half my planets are not viewable without it crashing.
    I can't think of anything I might be doing at this point at these planets that would affect them. I'm somewhat low on materials so I've not got that many edicts out, and certainly not that would affect that many planets all at once either.

6. Texashawk

Texashawk Developer
    Staff Member Developer Forum Admin

United States
    Hi Se5a!

Thanks for sending the save. I haven't had much time at the work desk the last few days, but I'll look into it tonight!

-Steve

7. se5a

se5a Alpha Tester

New Zealand
    Hey no worries, I don't want to take you away from the unity version too much in anycase.